One of the members of an ancient local family to make a significant impact on Dorstone Church and community is the Rev. Meredith Maddy. He set up a charity in his will called ‘Benefactors of the Poor of the Parish’ on the last day of August 1643. This was one of many charities that helped Dorstone parish. The Rev. Maddy’s ancestors lived at the Cwm Farm and many monuments to the Maddy family feature his descendants. It is greatly to the credit of a long succession of trustees that many of these bequests are still operative in a modified form. The most important of these was the provision of the village school and school house, part of which is now the Village Hall.